When it’s hot outside, head down to the basement and do some organizing. Clearing out a storage area can be a daunting task, but if you carve out time to focus on the space with some specific steps in mind, you can make a lot of progress in a little time. Here are some tips to get you going…
- Don’t look at the big picture. Start in one area and focus your organizing efforts on one item at a time. Looking around at all there is to do will only cause overwhelm.
- Eliminate unwanted items. Sort outgoing items into 3 categories: Trash, Donate and Sell. Use your smartphone to quickly snap photos and easily upload items you can sell onto eBayClassifieds.com.
- Get like items together. When you’re organizing, remember to find place for everything and get everything in its place. For example, keepsakes, gift wrapping, camping equipment, holiday items etc… It all needs a place to belong.
- Aim to contain. Determine what you are planning to keep and store, then purchase good sturdy containers to house those items. Find a good multi-purpose container that stacks well and holds plenty, shown are Sterilite 66qt Clearview Containers.
- Shelves create easy access. Containers are great, but if you stack them too high, it’s hard to access that bottom container. Consider putting shelves in your storage area. Place the containers on them, label and…you’re organized!
- Call for help. When you feel like it’s more than you want to take on, schedule an appointment with the professional organizers of Chaos To Order. We have great suggestions for creative use of space, what containers work best, and how long you should keep things. We are always happy to come and bring your chaos to order.
I spent the weekend with eBay on location in Chicago. Initially, I became involved with eBay as a spokesperson for eBay Classifieds. As I’ve learned more about this terrific company, I’ve gained interest in finding ways to make eBay a useful tool for our clients. Most of our clients complain about having too much “stuff”. When we are working to weed out and pare down with someone, we find three categories of things to eliminate. It’s either garbage, donation or “I don’t use it, but it’s too good to get rid of”. So what about finding a way to sell it on eBay? I am exploring the option of having Chaos To Order be a source for our clients to sell unwanted items. There’s a lot to consider in doing this, and we are not officially doing it yet, but I would love any thoughts and ideas that you, our customers would have. You can comment on this blog post, email the office at email@example.com or call (847) 825-8400.
Are you spending the 4th of July weekend around the house? This could be the perfect long weekend to carve out some time to declutter. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Find that pile that’s been bugging you, dig in to the hardest area when you’re motivated.
- Set the timer and work without distraction for the entire time you’ve allowed.
- Have a plan for what you donate. Having someone or some cause to donate your unwanted items to will make you more likely to pass them along.
- Don’t waste time moving things from one pile to the next. Put each item you plan to save in it’s proper place as you go.
- Earn some cash. Sell your stuff on eBay Classifieds. It’s an easy, local and safe way to turn your clutter into cash.
- Feel great at the end when you see how much progress you’ve made!
Are you a Twitterer? If your not, maybe you should be. Twitter is a great place to find very current information quickly. Many people who do not use Twitter complain that it’s a waste of time, and it certainly can be if you waste time with it. But if you use it properly, it can be a terrific resource for so many things.
If you have kids and you find that it’s a never ending battle to get organized with your 3 year old tornado following you around the house, you’ll want to join the very first eBayClassifieds Twitter Chat tonight at 8:30pm ET. Search #eBChat and get answers on best practices for organization and efficiency.