Declare Independence from your Clutter!
Are you weighed down by clutter? Do you get overwhelmed thinking about all of the excess stuff you have? This fourth of July, why not declare independence from your clutter. Here are some tips for ridding yourself of the stuff that weighs you down:
- Carve out the time: We are always busy trying to get things done, but how much of your time is dedicated to clearing out and organizing systems? Plan to take time this week to clear out a closet or venture into a forgotten storage area and organize.
- Weed out regularly: Keep a container in your closet, or any heavily used area with an “outgoing” box for items you plan to donate or sell. Arrange for a regular charitable donation pickup to keep the flow outgoing.
- Enlist the whole family: Delegate tasks to all family members. It may not get done exactly as you’d like, but getting something done is better than getting nothing done. It’s also a good way to teach little ones.
- Chart out a plan: Set goals and hang a chart in a visible area. List all the steps it will take to get you to that goal. Work in chunks of time to avoid getting overwhelmed.
- Plan a summer yard sale: Have you been saying you’re going to have a yard sale for the past three years? Set a date and use that as your deadline to tackle projects that will support your sale.
- Create good systems: In order to be organized, every item you own needs a home. When you have time to tidy up, you want to make good use of that time. You can’t get much done if you don’t have proper systems in place.
- Form Good Habits: Start right now, putting away each thing you take out rather than just setting it down. It’s amazing how living and organizing in the moment will help that overwhelming feeling of needing to “some day” get organized.
There is a great sense of relief in declaring independence from your clutter. Take some time this summer to clean out, clear up and feel the freedom of a more simplified life.