Getting Organized for the Before & After of Trick or Treating
If you’ve got kids, Halloween is one of the most exciting days of the year. It can also be hectic with kids heading in different directions and parents trying to keep up with it all. Before kids come home from school to dress and dart out for trick-or-treating, plan what you can in advance. Here are some Halloween tips:
- Lay out costumes. Don’t make last minute changes and make sure every detail of the costume is planned, down to the make-up and extra clothing for inclement weather. Get it all ready the day before so when it’s costume time, you’re organized and there’s no drama.
- Locate treat gathering containers. Little ones like those cute round pumpkins with a handle, while the older kids prefer to pile treats in bigger bags like a pillow case. You may even have something clever that ties in with the costume they are wearing.
- Have a healthy after school snack ready. Have them eat a healthy snack before chasing out to gather candy. This way you can at least ensure that they’ll get something decent and won’t just fill up on junk (which they’ll have plenty of anyway).
- Prepare an easy meal. A pot of chili or something similar that can sit in a crock pot so dinner-on-the-go can happen whenever it’s convenient. Throw to the wind any idea of having a pleasant sit-down meal on Halloween.
- Get your halloween hand-outs ready. Find a large bowl or decorative container like a cauldron and keep the trick-or-treat candy handy near the door.
- Organize the incoming candy deluge. Many kids love to sort and organize their treats. Make it a fun activity so kids can enjoy them long after Halloween belly aches. Read these tips to organize the candy.
- Proper Put-Away. After Halloween, take the time to store and organize costumes and decorations in sturdy, reusable storage containers. You will appreciate having it all organized when you pull it out again next year!